Test Manager is required by one of the largest, well known and respected UK charities who work with around 58,000 young people across the UK – This role is based in the city and has a certain kudos.
The Test Manager role is a pivotal hands on role within the development team that will enable The charity to deliver defect fixes, ongoing BAU change, and projects across existing and new tools spanning all areas. The role presents a unique opportunity for the candidate to broaden their experience and skills as well as network with some of the leading global vendors and supporters.
You will be responsible for two full time Test Analysts, Test Volunteers (through corporate partnerships), Work Experience students of different levels, and occasionally young people from technical programmes.
Liaising with the Head of IT, the Strategic Change team, The Head of IT Development, Head of Products and Department Directors, Managers and professionals as necessary to understand and document the key IT infrastructure system requirements across the organisation.
We are looking for an experienced individual. The Test Manager acts as ‘gate-keeper’ to ensure quality of delivery to our internal clients (project teams, internal departments and end users), and is responsible for testing across small fixes and BAU change, to large projects.
The role involves hands on running of the test team and the test function, including:-
Managing the Test Team by:-
- monitoring and managing ongoing work
- helping the Head of IT Development allocate Test Analyst resource to projects
- mentoring/training/coaching junior and aspiring test analysts
Being the Lead Test Analyst in the organisation, a senior and experienced tester, who is able to advocate for the importance and relevance of the Test function for the Trust, including:-
- actively taking part in test preparation and execution
- ensuring product and quality control is up to standard
- understanding and coordinating all testing activities during every stage of the test process, including unit test, integration test, system test and acceptance test
Setting up and managing a centre of quality assurance, including:-
- setting up reusable templates, strategies, plans and standards
- coordinating with department heads on testing projects and strategies
- advising project teams on the practicality of project test strategies and plans
- helping recruit and manage project test teams and processes (where needed)
- assessing project compliance with quality and test standards, and providing expert advice on current state of play, viability and success of projects
We would expect you to be an experienced Tester with a high level of test analysis, management and project experience with the ability to choose and advise on the right Test Analysis tools to use for the job, and the ability to manage a junior and constantly changing team to tight deadlines, whilst collaborating with staff both inside and outside of the organisation.
Essential skills – you will have experience of working across the full testing lifecycle, including coordinating testing with external suppliers and coordinating UAT with business users, this would include non-functional testing. You will be familiar of working with the development team and specifically software testing. You will have experience of using defect tracking tools (JIRA, Quality Centre, etc.) and defect management procedures. As a manager and leader, you will have proven experience of managing a test team and knowing when to apply coaching, mentoring and / or training. In addition, we would expect you to have experience in test planning, building test cases and scripting and test execution.
Desirable skills - would include experience of setting test strategy, choosing automated testing tools, maintaining a test environment and creating testing standards and working experience of using our full suite of Oracle products (Oracle Service Cloud CRM, OPA, OBBIE, Web Centre Sites, SOA) or equivalent technologies. Currently we use Selenium and QTP for Test Automation and Load Runner and JMeter for load and performance testing.