Enterprise Release Manager - Financial Services - Northampton
As Enterprise Release Manager you'll be responsible for managing, planning and scheduling Business & IT releases. Leading a cross functional team in the provision of predominantly client based product releases, ensuring that the release is completed to time and budget, while complying with internal and client governance. You'll define the release scope, release strategy and support processes with all relevant stakeholders within the organisation gaining their buy in and agreement.
- The primary goal of this role is to manage the end-to-end delivery cycle of a release, from defining and agreeing content, through the Build, Test, Implementation, Live Support and into handover to BAU. The ERM ensures there is a proper structure in place to allow the company to scale this efficiently.
- The ERM needs to interface and communicate with Project Managers, Test Managers, Development Managers, IT Operations, and the PMO on a daily basis.
- The ERM must have experience to manage up to the Board, provide reporting as well as meeting updates to Senior IT Management, Heads of Business and manage the Clients demands.
- Develop common strategies for release governance across multiple departments.
- Establish consistent release management processes, policies in support of configuration, integration, testing, completeness and consistency
- Facilitate cross-department coordination of release management functions.
- Track an enterprise-wide release calendar.
- Inform Senior Management of enterprise-wide exposure to release risk and effectively mitigate it.
- Measure release cadence and effectiveness using common metrics across the entire software portfolio.
- Create common standards and formats for releases and work with PMO production control to standardize release decision-making
- Define common mechanisms for system rollback and standards for capturing release-related performance indicators.
- Forecast demand for release resources and identify opportunities for greater efficiency across the enterprise.
- Coordinating release content and effort based on the product backlog, pending service requests, third party applications, or operating system updates.
- Deliver releases within the agreed budget, timeline and scope, to meet the defined requirements
- Ensure no unexpected disruption to day to day business and ensure that Service Level Agreements (SLA’s) are understood and maintained through the release implementation.
- Adheres to agreed project/release reporting requirements including the timely management of project financials including defining, controlling and reporting on budgets
- Leadership and managerial skills are critical for an ERM. Individuals in this role will not just be focused on the details of individual releases. They will also be focused on the overall trends across multiple development teams. They must be able to coordinate cross-functional teams toward task completion.
- Support the Senior Leadership team in developing and enhancing processes
- Plays an active role in promoting client culture and values ensuring a positive working environment is developed and maintained within the function and wider organisation.
- Manage the Client relationship effectively ensuring they are kept informed of progress and any issues relating to their releases
- Engage with key stakeholders for each release to ensure buy in and expectations are managed
- The ERM will be setting the overall standard for release management and governance. As such, they need to be able to communicate with both management and individual application teams to create an environment where teams understand the shared vision for releases across the enterprise. The ERM will also need strong interpersonal skills in areas such as facilitation, negotiation, and working with internal and external customers.
Analytical and Problem-solving
- The ERM should identify and eliminate redundancies at the portfolio level. An ERM should be capable of recognizing patterns and opportunities for improvement throughout the entire organization.
- The ERM must have the capacity to understand multi-level failure scenarios that can result from release activities. ERMs are the high-level referees for release activities and get pulled into discussions surrounding release-related downtime and risk. The ERM should also have proven ability to discern critical from minor problems and innovate new solutions.
- Experience as a Release Manager
- Experience in Configuration Management
- Detailed understanding of the end to end Project lifecycle, including inception, understanding of design, development, testing and implementation elements
- Experience in preparation and maintenance of project plans.
- Experience of resource planning and task management.
- Experience of report writing including financial reports.
- Experience of RAID log management
- Understanding and experience of stakeholder analysis and techniques to manage the needs and requirements of stakeholders
- Experience of managing the commercial and budgetary facets of a project, including forecasting and estimation techniques and cost management
- Awareness and experience of identifying and managing risks associated with projects in-line with company governance
- Advanced MS Office and MS Project skills.
- Experience of managing dependencies and conflicts across complex projects.
- Experience of managing, developing and motivating individuals within cross functional project teams, clearly defining responsibilities and deliverables, providing development and support and ensuring recognition is given as required.
- Appreciation of the importance of demonstrating emotional intelligence when responding to the various needs of a project team and external parties.
- Excellent presentation and meeting facilitation skills
- Knowledge and experience of using a variety of project management methodologies including APMP, Prince II, Agile or equivalent approach
- Knowledge and experience of banking and financial services.
- Knowledge of ITIL standards and best practices
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD).
- Experience with automation tools and strong ability to choose the best tools and solutions for the release management function.
Initial 6 month contract based in Northampton within financial services. To be successful in this role you will need to successfully complete standard financial services checks including criminal records and personal finance background searches.