Platform Migration and Strategy Manager
This company are one of the world’s leading publishers of books and eBooks and other associated products – based on Oxford.
We are seeking a talented and enthusiastic professional to join and be responsible for owning the platform roadmap and vision, you will manage the migration of existing products and will also be responsible for defining what the future unified platform will look like. We are seeking someone with experience of migrating complex operational platforms previously.
Current Platform landscape:
This business has a passion for digital distribution, they publish more than 5000 new books each year, with a backlist in excess of 120,000 titles. The current portfolio delivers circa £250M. Because the company has grown over many years through acquisition, they actually run and manage 6 different technology platforms which are all independent of each other. This means their product lines are fragmented and functional products are not connected. This is leading to poor customer experience. They are looking for you asses their product universe and develop and deliver a coherent strategy of content and value added services. Eventually you will design and cohesive platform. Critically, you will have experience of connecting digital systems across multiple platforms and products.
Critical success factors on this role over the next 12-18 months are:
- Reducing complexity of landscape (Optimisation)
- You will look at the future state of a Unified Destination of a single platform.
The key responsibilities:
- Introducing new products and product updates to market. This includes providing market-relevant input into future concepts, through the whole lifecycle to then managing effective product launches.
- Construct the optimal product offering for specific market and customer segments in terms of concept, specification and pricing to deliver targeted user adoption, usage stats, sales and profitability levels.
- Establish a competitive positioning for the assigned products within their respective sectors that will motivate potential customers, and identify the features and benefits of the product that best support this positioning.
- Monitor market development, competitor activity and performance of similar products or ideas across the Academic Publishing industry. Based on this insight, conceive, develop and coordinate the implementation of appropriate product actions, as well as providing input into sales and marketing campaigns to deliver user adoption, usage improvements, sales and profitability objectives.
- Support the business by actively providing product expertise at relevant high-profile events such as publishing conferences, events and other external activities.
- Data-driven - A great head for figures whether scrutinising RoI, financial forecasts, analytics data, marketing plans etc.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Expert in working with Agile product development and delivery teams
- Have extensive knowledge of how to use product-generated data (analytics) in evaluations, decision making, and strategy creation
- Good relationship builder and negotiates with other business teams for resources to support digital product development and to achieve timely product launches.
- Knowledgeable of product discovery and development best practices, as well as qualitative and quantitative evaluative methods, including a high degree of comfort with data analysis
- Will have a proven track-record delivering successful audience facing digital products including on mobile platforms
- You will be able to demonstrate different techniques, take a big picture view, and then optimise.