An opportunity for a Head of Digital Product / experienced Digital Product Manager is required to build and execute the platform strategy for one of the world’s leading publishers in their space.
Our client is a leading publisher. As Head of platform strategy, you and your team will be responsible to manage all of our customer facing products. You will specifically be responsible for driving a unified strategy across their portfolio, delivering appropriate, innovative, and high performing products for our users and the business.
This is a senior role in the business. The current portfolio delivers circa £250M and this role will be to deliver cost savings and improving performance. You will work closely with the Engineering & Customer Service Director and the CTO. This business has grown over the last 10-15 years through a number of acquisitions. This means that their product lines are fragmented (books, journals etc.) and functional products are not connected. This is leading to poor customer experience. We are looking for you asses their product universe and develop and deliver a coherent strategy of content and value added services.
Eventually you will design and cohesive platform. Critically, you will have experience of connecting digital systems across multiple platforms and products.
You will be able to demonstrate different techniques, take a big picture view, and then optimise.
The team is currently 6 product managers with room to grow to 10-12. They have a large development team (mix of internal, 3rd party) of 40-50 developers.
Critical success factors on this role over the next 12-18 months are:
- Reducing complexity of landscape (Optimisation)
- You will look at the future state of a Unified Destination of a single platform.
Any experience of Microservices API would be desirable, not essential.
The key responsibilities:
- Introducing new products and product updates to market. This includes providing market-relevant input into future concepts, through the whole lifecycle to then managing effective product launches.
- Construct the optimal product offering for specific market and customer segments in terms of concept, specification and pricing to deliver targeted user adoption, usage stats, sales and profitability levels.
- Establish a competitive positioning for the assigned products within their respective sectors that will motivate potential customers, and identify the features and benefits of the product that best support this positioning.
- Monitor market development, competitor activity and performance of similar products or ideas across the Academic Publishing industry. Based on this insight, conceive, develop and coordinate the implementation of appropriate product actions, as well as providing input into sales and marketing campaigns to deliver user adoption, usage improvements, sales and profitability objectives.
- Support the business by actively providing product expertise at relevant high-profile events such as publishing conferences, events and other external activities.
- Data-driven - A great head for figures whether scrutinising RoI, financial forecasts, analytics data, marketing plans etc.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Expert in working with Agile product development and delivery teams
- Have extensive knowledge of how to use product-generated data (analytics) in evaluations, decision making, and strategy creation
- Good relationship builder and negotiates with other business teams for resources to support digital product development and to achieve timely product launches.
- Knowledgeable of product discovery and development best practices, as well as qualitative and quantitative evaluative methods, including a high degree of comfort with data analysis
- Will have a proven track-record delivering successful audience facing digital products including on mobile platforms