Systems Architect - Worcestershire - £90k
Job description/Person specification
Working in a Project Team(s) as the lead architect with responsibility to define what could potentially be the an enterprise, system or engineering architecture and derived requirements to produce a solution that can be implemented to enable a balanced and optimum result that considers all stakeholder requirements (customer, business, programmatic, technical).
• Defining and developing systems architectures in response to customer requirements to address specific purposes
• Devising architectures to capture problems and/or solutions together with the relationships between the problem being addressed and the outline of the solution addressing it.
• Partitioning between discipline technologies and deriving discipline-specific requirements.
• Documenting architectures in a manner which promotes understanding by the stakeholders, analysis and communication.
• Applying systems architectures in dependent activities (other architectures, designs, implementations etc.) – making sure that dependent products are conformant with the architecture.
• Assessment of a range of architectural solutions and justifying the selection of a good solution.
Successful outcomes of this role:
• Delivering systems architectures that meet the customer/stakeholders’ requirements.
• Improving the practices and standards of systems architecting and mentoring others with an aptitude to become Systems Architects.
• Codification and cross-fertilisation of architecting best practices.
• Driving commonality and coherence, where appropriate, across the Systems Architecting community.
• Complexity of enterprise / technical problems and potential solutions.
• Necessity of architecting precisely yet at a level of abstraction.
• Provision of competent architectural solutions.
• Developing solutions which have potential impact across technical and enterprise domains and potentially across multiple projects.
• Operating in a discipline area where established practice is of varying maturity.
• Working with multidisciplinary teams that may be drawn from across the organisation (and potentially more widely).
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
• Degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering or technical discipline, or proven experience working in an equivalent engineering role. (Typically Aerospace / Mechanical / Electronics / Systems Engineering, Physics, Maths)
• Membership of an appropriate professional body.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• Ability to lead Systems Architecting activities throughout their lifecycle:
? Able to understand, analyse and articulate customer problems.
? Able to generate solutions to customer problems using architecting techniques.
? Able to analyse and evaluate architectural solutions and articulate the rationale underpinning them, pros and cons etc.
? Able to employ a variety of architecting practices as appropriate to the problem and solution space, including with respect to complexity.
? Able to partition between discipline technologies, integrate relevant disciplines using architecture as a basis, and derive discipline-specific requirements.
? Able to create a range of alternative interdisciplinary concepts.
? Able to document and communicate architectures and architecting issues (such as safety, security, human factors).
? Able to assess the alternative solutions for feasibility, risk, cost, schedule, technology requirements, human factors, -ilities etc.
? Able to down-select to a number of possible solutions and demonstrate that credible, feasible solutions exist.
• A solid understanding of the systems engineering lifecycle and its implementation and the role(s) which architecture can play in support of this.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• The ability to manage multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists and a broad range of internal and external stakeholders whilst building and maintaining excellent relationships.
• Understanding of Information Management principles.
• Excellent negotiation and presentation skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels across the department, business, and externally with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
• Experience in at least one relevant application domain.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Natural systems thinker;
• Enjoys addressing unknowns;
• Leadership skills;
• Self-motivated, with a ‘can-do’ attitude;
• Collaborative to build a ‘one team’ outlook;
• Confidence supported by professionalism and competence;
• Works flexibly;
• Ability to (where required) work on several projects simultaneously.
• Systems analysis skills;
• Experience in the use of Architecture Frameworks, Architecture Description Languages, BPMN, Archimate, MOOD, SysML and UML;
• Experience in using tools such as Enterprise Architect, System Architect, and Rhapsody;
• Model Based Systems Engineering;
• Knowledge of configuration management;
• Flexibility to travel as required to support project activities.