Solutions Architect Manager
Normal Weekly working hours – 37
Estimated Amount of Travel – 10%
Job description/Person specification
The internal Group IT provides technology design, development and support services to the wider company, its subsidiaries and its customers across the globe. Group IT manages some 1000 applications, 20 networks, 11 domains and around 500 firewalls; they design and advise on global solutions which operate from around 100 additional networks operating in a dozen countries and at the highest in-country government security classifications.
The Solutions Architect Manager (SAM) has a significant responsibility owning the design templates and process to ensure that the company can meet its cost and deadline obligations around solutions design, implementation and hence project delivery.
Solution Architects (SA) in Group IT play an important role ensuring that the solutions they produce align with roadmaps established by the Enterprise Architecture (EA) practice, and compliant with EA Standards, Principals & Policies. The SAM will ensure that all SA resources are aware of those standards, principals and policies, and adhere to the approved design process.
As the majority of the existing team are single domain focussed (predominantly Network & Infrastructure), the SAM will need to motivate, support and mentor those individuals to develop the necessary multi-domain skills (Process, Data and Applications, Infrastructure, Networks and Security) to provide a more rounded design team enabling a single SA to be appointed to each project, but drawing on the knowledge and expertise of the IT Operations personnel.
Solution Architect Specific accountabilities are:
- Work with Business Analysts to ensure that the Business Requirements, Functional Requirements and Non-Functional Requirements are suitably documented and are fit to determine the solution, can be tested against, and detailed enough to prove that the solution will deliver to the requirements.
- Defining and articulating complex solutions for large scale / high impact projects, including business, application, data and infrastructure impacts along with testing and implementation considerations through well-defined design & approval process.
- Developing pragmatic, commercially feasible architectures, considering all functional as well as non-functional requirements (e.g. performance, capacity, accessibility, security, usability)
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team of application, data and infrastructure professionals to implement the architecture, including those distributed across geographical boundaries
- Troubleshoot complex and intermittent problems to tight timeframes whilst under pressure Provide strategic consultation to the global organisation and its subsidiaries projects and service development initiatives in defining or designing business processes and functions, as well as in researching, identifying and internally marketing enabling technologies based on customer requirements
- In addition to those of the Solutions Architect above, the SAM will be accountable for the day to day operation of the Solutions Architectural practice, ensuring the proper running of the team through 1:1, team and performance meetings, supporting team members in their personal and technical development and ensuring that resources are aligned to project and programme delivery.
- As an experienced people manager, the SAM will be accountable for identifying both technical and soft skill gaps within the team and supporting individual team members in their development, driving to a high performing, knowledgeable and proficient unit.
- This role will be accountable for ensuring quotes for design timescales / technical costs are increasingly accurate as progress is made through the design cycle, and the team are properly supported in the execution of their duties. Ensuring projects are delivered on time, within budget and to the desired level of quality are essential in this role.
- Accountable for the periodic review of the design templates and design process with the Chief Enterprise Architect and Operational Support / Implementation Leads, to ensure that they continue to add value and provide the correct level of detail for solutions to be easily implemented without causing unnecessary delay in the design or implementation phases.
- The SAM will participate in the regular review of the corporate standards with Enterprise Architecture to ensure that they are still valid, and supporting future project capability. The SAM will be accountable for ensuring designs produced by the team are compliant with the corporate standards, principals and policies and for escalating compliancy / standards issues back to Enterprise Architecture for resolution.
- Where the SAM determines that additional expertise is required to guarantee the successful design of a solution, they will be accountable for appointing Solution Architects from either the SA pool, negotiated from the Operational Support / Implementation teams or sourced from within the business / 3rd party service providers
- Extensive experience in managing the design of secure solutions in a complex IT environment Minimum of SC security clearance will be required, capability to achieve DV is desirable
- Preferably Degree Qualified or equivalent experience
- Relevant domain level certification such as CCDP / CCIE, MCSE, OSCP, LPIC-3 etc. or equivalent providing evidence of advanced domain level knowledge and capabilities
For a confidential chat and more information please contact Sam Page.
Sam Page – Cyber & Information Security Recruitment Consultant
01908 88 60 37