Job Title: Senior Systems Engineer
Location: Bristol and abroad
Salary: £neg. depending on experience
Our client is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Our client is the largest inward investor in the UK defence sector, and one of the biggest suppliers of defence equipment to the UK MoD.
Headquartered in Europe, they have over 45,600 employees. With its offices and industrial plants, the Company is present in 180 sites worldwide in addition to strategic partnerships in the most important high potential international markets.
What’s in it for you?
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
- Award-winning pension scheme
- Flexible working and additional flex-leave schemes
- Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare voucher scheme
- Generous relocation package
- Onsite Occupational Health Service
- Onsite shops and restaurant facilities
- Employee discount schemes
- Learning & Development budgets
- Career break scheme
- Reserve Forces support
The client requires a Senior Systems Engineer with experience of Data Management Systems and Integration to join its Enterprise Security Engineering Team based in Bristol. The ideal candidate will have demonstrable experience within a systems engineering role, preferably working in a secure environment.
The successful candidate will be a member of a specialised engineering team that is responsible for the systems engineering efforts across multiple active projects and bids and the candidate should be comfortable working on multiple lifecycle phases including architectural design, detailed system/subsystem design, implementation and customer facing testing.
The successful candidate must have a strong all round technical ability with an excellent working knowledge of network and systems infrastructure technologies. Current projects will require an awareness of cyber security capabilities, and an understanding of enabling security lockdown controls to pass system accreditation.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Able to understand, interpret and engineer complex and often conflicting customer requirements
- To be able to expand a high-level design into a low-level design using technical experience, judgement and best practice
- Able to confidently select the best approach, tools and products for a given task and justify these choices
- Development of systems engineering artefacts, including documentation to support the delivery and maintenance of system solutions
- Willing and able to mentor others in area of specialism
- Provide specialist technical support to the business unit, supporting the project or wider programme (potential involvement in bid development/evaluation)
- Work with external third parties such as vendors / resellers, to develop robust & costed solutions
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
Skills and experience in the following areas is mandatory:
- Demonstrable scripting experience across a broad range of languages including Python, Bash and PowerShell, focussing on automation and integration
- Experience working with APIs to achieve an integration objective between dissimilar systems
- Experience of working with both relational and unstructured data using a variety of toolsets across
- heterogeneous environments and visualisation of such data
- Proven experience of working with SIEM toolsets and managing event flows
- Competent in the operation and administration of Unix/Linux and Windows operating systems
- Skills and experience in the following areas is advantageous:
- Experience of cyber security tools such as Nessus, SourceFire, Cisco, Palo Alto, RSA Netwitness, NetScout, EDR / EPP forensics, McAfee
- Automated build tooling such as Puppet and Docker
- Software development using high level languages (C#, Java etc)
- Infrastructure build experience
- Experience of automation tooling / scripting such as Puppet / Python / Perl
- Experience of working with virtualisation technologies
- Enterprise Networking & Services (TCP/IP Networks, devices & services (e.g. DHCP/DNS)
- Experience with enterprise system monitoring and administration toolsets
- Previous experience of working within secure / isolated / air gapped environments.
- Candidates will possess the following personal characteristics
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work under broad direction, with minimal supervision, in challenging technical environments
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to manage workload in pressurised environments, across multiple tasks, whilst balancing time and quality.
- Strives for excellence in engineering activities, both personally and professionally.
- Personable and flexible, willing to work in a highly focused and demanding environment
- Ability to communicate technical solutions to both technical and non-technical audience
- Highly motivated, with the aptitude to learn new skills
- Ability to be innovative
Key intrinsic job factors applicable to the role are as follows:
- Demanding Work Environments
- Security clearances to SC minimum
- The ability to travel within the UK and abroad (up to 50% of the time)
For immediate consideration please contact Teo Rusu on 01908 886030 or email email@example.com