When it comes to innovation and achievement there are few organisations with a better track record. Join us and you’ll be able to play a big part in the success of our highly successful, fast-paced business that opens up Europe so people can exercise their get-up-and-go.
IT Architecture incorporates the Enterprise Architecture and Solution Architecture teams, plus oversight of Technical Architects working within our technology delivery teams. We own the overall direction the IT landscape across all domains, working in close collaboration with colleagues across IT and the broader business. We also play a leading role in developing complex IT solutions which have cross-functional impact, implement new technology / architecture approaches etc.
The Commercial domain covers all the systems that drive revenue generation across the business. This includes support for all aspects of selling and servicing our customers’ needs, including our eCommerce systems; the website and mobile platforms, and the airline reservation management systems that underpin these. We are entering the final stages of a transformational Future Commercial Platform (FCP) programme, and are now looking to build the teams that will take ownership of the resulting architecture going forward, ensuring we can continue to build upon and evolve our refreshed Commercial domain.
As part of this we are looking to hire a Senior Solution Architect who we expect to align to the Commercial domain, but with the experience and flexibility to lead solution work in other domains as appropriate. This highly capable member of our team will work closely with the other architects, the business stakeholders and the delivery teams, and may also be asked to take on additional line management responsibility of other Solution Architects.
- To lead the solution architecture definition for complex end to end solutions, working with technical architects covering each solution component, and Enterprise Architects driving the long-term architectural direction.
- Produce high quality, comprehensive Solution Blueprint materials demonstrating a balance of different functional & non-functional drivers and requirements, effective understanding of solution risk, and alignment to broader IT strategy and standards.
- Provide architectural guidance to third party vendors / development teams to assure the delivered solution realises the design.
There are three primary accountabilities of this role:
Owning & defining solution architectures:
- Working with external parties, suppliers and internal members of the IT team and business units to research, define and document the systems architecture and high level designs for major new initiatives, primarily though not exclusively in the Commercial domain
- Identifying key areas of technical risk or complexity, proposing appropriate Proofs of Concepts (POCs) and spikes, working with stakeholders to curate a story backlog, and leading a team to gain hard evidence to influence the end architecture design
- Providing high level estimates for projects to facilitate prioritisation of demand and portfolio management
- Working with the programme solution architects, business analysts and business stakeholders to coordinate the collection of non-functional requirements for each component / platform in the end to end architecture
- Engaging with technical architects and other solution architects to understand and define the end to end solution architecture, outlining appropriate component responsibilities and boundaries, producing interaction diagrams explaining how the solution hangs together
- Clear communication of the defined solution to the delivery and service teams (both in house and third party)
- Ensuring key factors such as total cost of ownership, ongoing maintenance, a broad understanding of risk etc. are considered in the definition of the solution.
Assuring component design alignment & solution delivery:
- Gaining an appropriately deep understanding of the technical solution for each component, steering key technology and design decisions, aligned to the relevant solution assurance processes
- Holding vendors to account to ensure documentation meets architecture standards, aligns to the defined end to end solution, as well as meets its business functional and non-functional requirements
- Collaborating with the Service Delivery team to define the support model for platforms and components in the end to end architecture
- Reviewing and assessing aspects of detailed design that deviate from the proposed solution architecture, published technical strategies, policies, standards etc.
Playing a leading role in shaping and maturing IT architecture:
- Work as part of the core Solution Architecture team to evolve and continuously improve ways of working, templates, engagement with other teams and so forth
- Work closely with the Head of Architecture and Enterprise Architects to help develop the broader architecture framework in a way that works (e.g. balancing cost, risk & time to market drivers)
- Work with Technical Architects, particularly those aligned to Commercial domain systems, to ensure there is a strong, productive relationship between Solution Architecture and Technical Architects, and to help with their maturity improvement where needed
In line with the Competency Framework for job family HMP (Higher Management Professional) which cover:
- Ownership and Delivery. Has a clear focus to deliver results, working to targets, reviewing progress and adapting their plans accordingly, motivating themselves/the team to achieve.
- Innovation and Change. Is open to new ways of doing things and questions existing approaches, views change as an opportunity, comfortable working in a dynamic and ambiguous environment.
- Building Relationships. Expresses ideas confidently and clearly, builds positive and constructive relationships with others, gets to know colleagues within their own team and supports them to ensure team goals are achieved.
KEY SKILLS REQUIRED
- Experience of designing/implementing solutions, including (desirable):
- Large, multi-technology, multi-vendor solutions
- eCommerce platforms (ideally Hybris)
- Process orchestration
- Integration with third party service provider APIs (e.g. hotels)
- Experience of SOA, API Design and distributed architectures.
- Practical experience of agile project delivery aligned to high quality solution architecture
- Demonstrable experience of designing high quality software solutions in line with business needs and timescales
- A good working knowledge of eCommerce solutions with a high degree of commercial awareness
- Active participation in a maturing architecture practice / community
- Be confident in presenting solution architecture and strategy to both and IT and business audiences
- The ability to understand complex concepts and communicate them in a simple manner
- The ability to communicate well on both a business and technical level, to all levels of the organisation
- High degree of integrity, does what they say they will
- Competitive base salary
- Up to 30% bonus
- 25 days holiday
- BAYE, SAYE & Performance share schemes
- 7% pension
- Life Assurance
- Flexible benefits package
- Excellent staff travel benefits