Technology Project Manager – Cloud, O365
Our Client’s objective is excellence in research, scholarship and education by publishing worldwide.
It has become familiar to millions through a diverse publishing programme that includes scholarly works in all academic disciplines, bibles, music, school and college textbooks, children's books, materials for teaching English as a foreign language, business books, dictionaries and reference books, and academic journals.
Group Technology is progressing an exciting strategy which includes agile, digital and cloud technologies.
An exciting, permanent opportunity has arisen for an experienced IT Project Manager to join our Infrastructure team, based in Oxford.
In this role you will work closely with our Infrastructure team, our operational organisation and a number of third party supplier teams to manage technology projects to plan, ensuring their successful, end-to end delivery. You will work with the business across multiple divisions, geographies, role types and seniorities to deliver key projects.
Your initial role will be to lead the delivery of a multi-million pound, global desktop refresh project, over a period of approximately 18 months. The project scope includes encrypting, implementing the Windows 10 operation system, implementing elements of Office 365 and replacing Windows devices that have reached the end of their useful working life.
The post holder will report to the programme manager, working alongside the Technical Project Manager. This is a challenging and complex project that will require sound business, commercial and technical capability.
- Provide the necessary leadership, motivation and vision to create, maintain and motivate a high-performing, diverse and distributed project team.
- Ensure that project sponsors and key stakeholders are fully engaged throughout.
- Manage the budget, scope, schedule, prioritisation, quality and benefits realisation while ensuring that appropriate assurance, governance and reporting is in place.
- Properly manage change and successfully embed it into the business.
- Comply with programme governance and project processes.
Typical Accountabilities / Key Result areas:
You will have the following experience:
- Delivered, or played a significant role in delivering, a large-scale, complex enterprise desktop refresh project. (It is highly likely that you have managed a migration to Windows 10/Office 365).
- Defined a complex project’s scope and determined the most appropriate delivery approach while complying with project process and architectural standards and requirements.
- Participated in contract and change negotiations with third party suppliers to confirm requirements, costs and schedules. Ensured that appropriate commercial agreements align with the agreed project budgets, process and constraints.
- Designed and managed fixed-price and time and material contract delivery.
- Enabled, supported and controlled suppliers to meet delivery requirements and conform to SLAs while ensuring that commercial agreements are satisfied on both sides of supplier relationships.
- Completed project planning, identifying and satisfying internal & external dependencies.
- Mobilised and managed a diverse, matrixed and often-virtual project team, providing sound leadership based on your experience and knowledge of best practice.
- Implemented ways of working that cater for geographic and organisational complexities and established effective collaboration, within and between teams.
- An awareness of cloud computing; particularly a good understanding of the financial management, operation, capacity and general delivery within a cloud environment.
- Realised benefits achievements and target business outcomes.
- Driven innovation and continuous improvement in project delivery.
- Created timely, relevant and accurate reports that are appropriate to the audience and properly support decision-making.
- Encouraged and supported talent development within your team.
- Excellent project management skills, gained from large projects, or smaller, concurrent projects.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering projects in the area of infrastructure and desktop productivity e.g. Office 365 and Windows 10 deployment.
- Comprehensive supplier management skills, both on-site and off-site.
- Sound financial management capability and commercial acumen.
- Stakeholder management to director level: Strong communication skills to inform key stakeholders of project issues, opportunities, changes, dependencies and risks throughout the project lifecycle.
- Good presentational skills, being able to inform and influence.
- Adaptability, with the resilience to move between projects quickly, gaining an understanding of the issues and risks and responding proactively to change.
- Flexibility, remaining effective, even when under pressure.
- Most importantly, you will have delivered to plan.
- Degree educated or equivalent.
- APMP, PRINCE2, MSP accreditation or equivalent, evidenced experience.
- Knowledge of the SAFE agile framework or equivalent.
- Experience of leading
- Agile delivery projects, particularly the visual elements, such as Kanban boards.
- Projects with information security content.
- Technology business engagement.
- Understanding data centre outsourcing.