Oracle DBA is required to join this large Emergency Services organisation based in Gloucester. To be considered for this post, you will be able to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
It’s highly likely that you will have around 4 years’ experience in a similar role or a position moving towards being the DBA. Essentially you will have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in administration of Oracle and Microsoft SQL server RDBMS in a medium to large enterprise as well as experience and knowledge of key Oracle utilities, DR, HA solutions and backup and recovery tools, such as: RMAN, OEM, Data Pump, Data Guard.
Experience and knowledge of key SQL Server utilities, DR, HA solutions and backup and recovery tools, such as: SSMS, Database Mirroring, Log shipping, Always On Availability Groups and a good understanding of database architecture, software and database management systems.
Desirable skills would include a certification in:
- Oracle Certified Database Administrator (10/11/12); OCA, OCP,
- Microsoft Certified database Administrator (2008/2012/2014); MCITP
- ITIL qualified.
- Experience of working in a secure environment.
The main tasks in this role are:
- Carrying out database configuration(s) including installing and upgrading software servers and application tools, ensuring that all standard procedures are observed, applying fixes, and maintaining supplier and user documentation.
- Develop, implement, review and periodically test backup and recovery plans for the databases.
- Ensures that the database is placed on the correct server so that it is available to the correct people and ensuring that the correct type of storage is used for the information collected through the database.
- Ensures that database problems are investigated, diagnosed and resolved, referring to database users, other staff and suppliers as necessary.
- Ensure that database is running to optimal levels and understanding the table structure within the database in order to 'tune' the database.
- Contributes to the setting of standards for database objects (e.g. naming conventions) and ensures conformance to these standards.
- Working with senior colleagues, agrees policies for future database development, and related functional areas such as system security.
- Works with application developers, support staff and external software vendors to troubleshoot site-specific performance issues, escalating to developers for software fixes or implementing database improvements.
- Performs security risk, vulnerability assessments, and business impact analysis for medium complexity information systems. Investigates suspected attacks and manages security incidents.
- Provides input to the service continuity planning process and implements resulting plans.
Because of who this client is, you will be expected to maintain and promote a high standard of information security. You will require the necessary security clearance level (SC Level) to discuss initiatives and opportunities with stakeholders.