Contract Type: Permanent
Title: Head of Mechanical Engineering
This challenging role, reporting to the Director of Mechanical Engineering is charged with responsibility for delivering innovative cost effective design solutions to the Electronic Warfare Line of Business within Air & Space Division (UK).
Managing a large team of Mechanical Engineers & Analysts, you will ensure that capable resource is deployed into IPT's to meet all schedule, cost and quality requirements
Key Responsibility Areas
- Strategically manage resource planning, recruitment, deployment & performance Personally coach & mentor team members, promote team working, empowerment and talent development.
- Act as role model for appropriate behaviours, knowledge share & best practice.
- Drive the team to deliver high performance against agreed KPI's
- Pro-actively work as part of the Divisional Engineering.
- Management team & promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Contribute to Engineering / Divisional strategy and policy.
- Manage the discipline overhead & capital spend to budget.
- Facilitate & validate engineering cost estimates against all requirements.
- Encourage innovation & "Systems Thinking" in all aspects of Mechanical Engineering.
- Ensure product / technology re-use & modularity where appropriate.
- Support all Technical, Design and Gate reviews as required.
- To manage design defects & non-conformances ensuring timely closure with root cause / corrective action addressed.
- Ensure the team comply with all system, legal, product safety and contractual requirements.
- Work with the transnational management team to deliver the Engineering & Mechanical Engineering strategic objectives.
- Work with & manage 3rd party companies to effectively provide external resource and/or design work packages.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
- Demonstrable success in a previous technical role.
- Proven experience in leadership of large Engineering / Project teams.
- Risk management within Functional & Line of Business activity.
- Application of Cost Engineering and LEAN principles.
- Recognised understanding of the Product Lifecycle & Technical.
- Review Process.
- Educated to degree level in a relevant Engineering subject.
- Good understanding of the Defence Electronics environment.
- Able to develop relationships & effective communication
- Strong leadership and behavioural skills
- Enthusiastic & self-motivated
- Membership of or working toward Professional Institute
- membership (IMechE / IET)
- Good written & verbal communication skills
- Willingness to go beyond the norm to ensure business deliverable are met
- Able to recognise and mitigate risks before they occur
- Industry commercial, financial & business awareness