Job Description – Desktop Services Engineer
£35,000 + Bonus + Good benefits
The Desktop Service Engineer’s primary role is to provide direct local support to Business Unit end-users predominately covering desktop and laptop PCs ensuring optimal workstation performance is delivered and SLAs are met. The scope extends to installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading associated hardware, software and peripherals, as well as providing elements of end user training and advice where required.
The role also has a secondary remit of being the on-the-ground contact for the central technical teams to provide them with “eyes and hands” for the installation and configuration of infrastructure hardware and software, and to provide support for the investigation and restoration of failed or failing infrastructure services or components.
- Ensure service levels are met and maintained by providing reactive and proactive support in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot end user workstation hardware, peripheral devices, and networking hardware products.
- Install, configure, test, maintain, monitor, and troubleshoot associated end user workstation software and networking software products.
- Support users in local and remote network connectivity and access, troubleshooting and resolving any connectivity issues.
- Ensure configuration information for hardware and software items is maintained within the SSC’s CMDB.
- Perform on-site analysis, diagnosis, and resolution of complex PC problems recommending and implementing corrective solutions, including off-site repair as needed.
- As necessary, liaise with and co-ordinate third-party support providers and PC equipment vendors.
- Provide training and support to business staff on computer operation.
- Undertake Local Area Network (LAN) support and troubleshooting where required.
- Collaborate with other SSC technical teams to provide local on-site assistance.
- Provide guidance to junior members of the team as required.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Excellent technical knowledge and hands on support of PC hardware and peripherals.
- Excellent technical knowledge and hands on support of Microsoft Windows OS suite.
- Good knowledge of and hands on support of Microsoft Office products.
- Working technical knowledge of current network protocols, operating systems, and standards.
- Ability to operate tools, components, and peripheral accessories.
- Able to read and understand technical manuals, procedural documentation, and OEM guides.
- Ability to conduct research into PC issues and products as required.
- Exposure to thin client technologies.
- Experience of working within an ITIL framework.
- College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science and/or be able to clearly demonstrate relevant experience in a similar role(s).
- Possess industry recognised certification(s) (e.g. MCP, MCSA, CCNA, MCSE, ITIL).
- Exposure to HP and IBM/Lenovo hardware platforms.
- Extensive knowledge of Windows 10.
- Experience and exposure to SCCM package deployment, PXE builds and manual package deployment.
- SCCM report creation/amending/running experience.
- Group Policy creation/amendment experience.
- Extensive remote troubleshooting skills (by phone/remote control).
- Effective interpersonal skills and relationship-building skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Ability to apply organisational goals and objectives to day to day work.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- UK Driving Licence required.