Reporting to the Head of User Services, the Desktop Services Manager is responsible for two operational teams; Field Desktop Services and Evergreen
Field Desktop Service:
The team consists of seven desktop engineers and a team leader and is a blend of mobile and site based. Typically, each engineer processes and average of seven tickets each per day, primarily hardware issues and device commissioning/decommissioning
A team of three engineers based at the Shared Service Centre (SSC). Primary focus is to deliver a continual deployment of the latest versions of Windows 10 and Office 365 across 10,000 managed desktops globally. This includes managing the business units through the UAT and early adoption phases and managing the service plans (deployment schedules) utilising Migration Studio and SCCM
Both teams are working with end users in the various businesses, so the Desktop Services Manager will need to be customer centric and continually drive a positive user experience
The Desktop Services Manager will work closely with the Senior Management Team and other areas of the SSC such as Project Services, Data Centre Operations and the SOC
The SSC operates a 24/7 service and as such a flexible working regime will be required.
Strategy & Planning
- Diagnose and deliver solutions to enhance quality of service and to prevent future problems.
- Oversee reports and documentation related to network and systems operations.
- Ensure that the appropriate security measures are followed in conjunction with Security Operations to protect the business data.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on new client components, services, and standards in support of service management.
- Pursue new technologies and disciplines that relate to the areas of responsibility
- Drive continuous improvement and adoption of new methods with the teams.
- Working closely with the Head of IT Operations to ensure a cohesive approach to delivery of infrastructure operations management.
- Practice IT configuration management, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation.
- Contribute to regular written and in-person communications with the SSC Senior Management Team regarding pertinent IT activities.
Ensure that Information Security risks within the Shared Service Centre are being effectively managed by:
- Enforce SSC policy and standards on security matters.
- Maintaining awareness of current and emerging threats to the Corporate Infrastructure
- Reviewing the outcome of security risk assessments.
- Providing assurance to Senior Management regarding compliance to SSC policies and standards on security matters.
- Promoting security awareness initiatives and activities.
Formal Education & Certification
- University degree in the field of computer science or information systems and\or 10 years related work experience.
- Certifications in current ITIL practices, formal technical certification advantageous.
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong technical knowledge of operating systems, including Windows 7 and Windows 10
- Extensive application support experience with Microsoft Exchange/O365 and Microsoft messaging.
- Extensive experience of management of large scale client upgrades.
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure planning and development.
- Excellent understanding of the organisation’s goals and objectives.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- A good understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures.
- An understanding of project management principles.
- Knowledge and experience of patch maintenance across a large and diverse estate
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating business cases, budgets, and so on.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritise and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-call availability one week in eight
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Occasional travel and periods of working at customer sites.
- UK driving licence.
- Valid Passport.