Cyber Security Engineer - Development
Our client is a diversified international food, ingredients and retail group operating in 50 countries. Whilst some companies claim to be ‘the best thing since sliced bread’, this company actually are! In the 1930’s they introduced sliced bread to the UK for the first time.
The Security Operations team provides a suite of operationally focused services to our clients Shared Service Centre businesses. Their Security Operations Centre is at the heart of that provision, providing detection and response services that quickly identify and effectively respond to cyber threats.
Reporting to the Security Operations Manager, the Cyber Engineering function performs two key roles; to act as point of escalation, dealing with threats that are not handled by our current operational systems/playbooks, and ensuring any technology, process, or knowledge gaps are remedied for future incidents so we can continue to improve our service.
This role specifically focuses on the development activity required to achieve those improvements, adding new, or improving existing capabilities to empower our SOC analysts.
We are highly committed to enabling our business to operate safely and efficiently. Our Cyber Engineering team play a key role in defining how we achieve those goals.
- Owning the security development roadmap, collating and triaging requirements and ensuring delivery
- Acting as an ambassador for SecDevOps, establishing a culture of secure development and championing the automation of security tasks
- Working with other DevOps groups in the business to standardise on effective toolset and working practices
- Tracking development effectiveness, measuring and continually improving code accuracy and efficiency
- Using a blend of security and development knowledge, codify security best practice into SOC tools
- Maintaining an effective software development lifecycle process
- Mentoring more junior members of the team, and other tiers of the SOC
- Managing security incidents in the role of Incident Commander
- Building relationships with Business Unit security and operations teams
- Identifying inefficiencies and working to improve the effectiveness and quality of the service we offer
Why this role/company?
- Opportunity to work for a global organisation and recognised household brands
- Operational hours 8-6pm (flexibility required)
- Up to 10% annual bonus
- Annual salary review
- Access to E-learning platform
- Excellent and Supportive working environment
- 25 days annual leave + bank holiday
- Cycle to work scheme
- Previous Experience of working within a security function
- Commercial experience of software development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 3 years’ work experience in Information Technology
Knowledge & Experience
- Commercial experience of developing software in Python (preferably, though other languages considered)
- Experience of working with APIs
- Experience of using connectivity solutions such as message queueing and data transformation technologies
- Good understanding of configuration management
- Good overall Windows Operating System experience
- Familiarity with commonly deployed security technologies, such as SIEM tools, Firewalls, Intrusion Prevention Solutions, Internet Proxy Servers, Data Loss Prevention, Endpoint Detection and Response tools, Antivirus and Email filtering
For more information, or if you’re interested in having an informal chat regarding the role please contact Thom Taylor on 01908 030131 or firstname.lastname@example.org