Intersystems Cache Developer – Leading Law Firm
Salary up to £80,000
The client is a leading City law firm with around 1,200 partners and worldwide staff, is regarded as one of the most prestigious law firms in the world. Their lawyers focus on providing excellence in everything they do, advising on high-profile and ground-breaking international transactions. Clients include leading corporations, financial institutions and governments.
The client is seeking to recruit a developer who has proven experience in Caché Objects and the technical design of applications built using this technology. Knowledge and experience in MDM, business intelligence technologies and web development would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will join a team of 7 Developers responsible for the development of the Practice Management System (PMS) and will report to the Team Leader. This team is part of the wider IT Development team, in the Technology department. The development team is headed by the IT Development Manager and comprises 11 Developers and 2 Team Leaders. The firm adheres to using the ISO27001 development lifecycle security standards.
The key responsibilities of this role are set out below – there may be others which are not listed. This role may require some working outside our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm.
- To work alongside other developers and with others in the Technology department and other Business Services departments, such as Finance, Compliance and Business Development, to develop the firm’s Practice Management System to meet the firm’s business needs.
- To participate in the full software development lifecycle, from determining and documenting the initial requirements, through coding and testing the solution, to the informal training of key users, and the subsequent support and enhancement of the software.
- To stay up to date with the latest developments in Caché and investigate how these can be incorporated into and benefit the Practice Management System.
The Practice Management System (PMS)
The Practice Management System is known as DataTree. It manages all data and functionality relating to the firm’s clients and matters (jobs), the firm’s finances and management reporting. The Practice Management System is hosted in London and Hong Kong and is a bespoke system which runs on a Caché 2013.1 platform under Windows 2012R2 Server. The system has been developed over a period of 30 years and, over that period, various technologies have been used in application development.
- The original “terminal” applications are written in MUMPS utilising a 4GL technology called MDM (originally developed by Hoskyns, now Cap Gemini, the source code for MDM is now also maintained in-house). A number of these applications are still supported.
- Windows Client applications are written in VB 6, Visual C++, C# or VB.NET and access the database via Caché Objects or Caché Direct.
- Business Intelligence applications are written using the Microsoft BI stack.
We are currently evaluating alternatives to CSP such as AngularJS for web development.
Candidates for this position will be expected to have worked, or be working, in a similar role within a professional services environment. We also require candidates to have:
- 2 years+ commercial experience of developing applications using Caché Objects technology.
- Experience of the Microsoft BI stack (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Power BI) or modern web frameworks and web design would be an advantage.
- A proven ability to communicate at all levels (written, spoken and presentational), in particular when communicating technical concepts to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Problem-solving skills, with the ability to find the right solution to a problem from a technical specification.
- Proven analytical skills, with the ability to understand a high-level problem and to translate this into detailed requirements and technical specifications.
- A methodical and meticulous approach to writing code, and testing and documenting a solution.
- A proven ability to work independently under direction, but also to show a great contribution as a team player.
- Ability to work to agreed deadlines.
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics.
If you are interested in hearing more about the role please contact Teo Rusu on 01908 886 030 or email@example.com