Big Data Engineer – London – £55k
Interested in joining one of the world’s leading defence, aerospace, technology and security companies?
*Employ 6000 people worldwide
*The UK’s largest research and technology organisation.
What you’ll get:
- Flexible working environment
- Technical and personal development
- Career opportunities across multiple domains
- Experience on cutting edge military and security systems
Market leading benefits package which includes:
- Share Incentive Plan
- Group Personal Pension Scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Heath cash plan
- Holiday vouchers and discounts on both holidays and holiday insurance
- Dental insurance
- Buy additional annual leave
- Private Medical Insurance
- Free regular health assessments
- Discounted personal accident insurance
- Reductions on meals out and cinema tickets
- High Street Store Discount scheme
- Payroll giving scheme
Job description/Person specification
Based in London we are looking for security cleared professionals to work within a scaled Agile team developing a big data analytics ecosystem. Experience working in a customer-facing role is desirable, with the ability to openly communicate, think creatively, collaborate, and influence when necessary.
The multi-disciplined Agile team contributes to the rapid cycle of sprints that include the customer within the team. The team solves a variety of data-centric problems and is based around developing software products, so experience of solving problems of a data-centric nature using the latest software technologies is desirable.
This role will definitely require the holder to hold a SC security clearance. The holder will also need to apply for a DV level of clearance, for which you will normally have had to have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 5 years, regardless of nationality.
Overall Purpose of the Job
- Designing and implementing software components within a Big Data architecture.
- Cleansing and modelling structured and unstructured data.
- Looking for opportunities to further improve the software products.
- Accountable to the Solution Architect team lead for production of good quality software components.
- Accountable for production of cleansing and modelling techniques.
- Accountable for working with the Integration and Test engineers to produce testable and tested components.
- Accountable to the team for being creative and finding opportunities to incorporate new ideas into the products.
- Maintaining consistency and quality of the components being developed in a high pace, leading-edge environment.
- Cleansing and modelling complex data with subtle relationships – eliminating unwanted artefacts but not disturbing the underlying relationships.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Qualified to at least University Honours Degree or equivalent.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in Big Data technologies for ingesting, transforming, storing and serving data at scale, such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, Solr, NoSQL databases, Flume, Sqoop.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in Open Source techniques and tooling for Big Data.
- Experience in Java.
- Experience in design, development, test and integration of quality software.
- Enthusiastic and willing to work flexibly to be part of a high-performing team.
- Ideally DV cleared, minimum is UK national with SC and willing to undergo government vetting to achieve DV.
- Excellent verbal and written technical English communications skills.
Desirable – Experience of some or all of the following:
- Experience of working in an Agile team.
- Experience in Scala.
- Familiarity with a DevOps environment.
- Experience of working in a consultancy role, focused on customer needs and requirements or equivalent engineering role with customer/stakeholder exposure and influence.
- Experience across the full product development lifecycle from requirements to user testing.
- More general systems engineering design and implementation processes
For immediate consideration please contact Sam Page
01908 886 037